Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Dressmakers and Colors

One of the biggest aggreivations of coordinating colors with clients is the millions of names dressmakers come up with for colors.  So many women were coming in saying "cornflower" blue dress....which I think of as this:
This is a deep almost navy/cobalt colored flower. It sometimes available in a lighter shade.  Imagine my confusion when I showed the bride ribbon samples in this color for her bouquets and she told me I had the wrong color.  This is cornflower according to a well known bridal company:
hmm...yes it IS a shade of blue but in person the dress is even lighter....so, we floral designers just smile and silently curse the wedding dress industry for the constant miscommunication they cause.  Don't even get me started on "Victorian Lilac".....there are probably 10 different shades of lilac...
The best solution I've come up with and encourage brides/clients to do this...go to the local Home Depot/Lowe's, etc and go to the paint section.  Play with all the strips of paint samples.  This is the best way to group different colors together.  Ignore the names on the samples.  Bring the samples in along with actual fabric swatch of dress.  This helps ensure everyone is on the same page and the same color scheme- no matter what it's called.

No comments:

Post a Comment